About

Faeguard is a single-player role playing game set in a fictional world. You are a fae, ageless, certain, thrust into the world of man, mortal, distraught. The game is text-based, meaning that there are no graphics. Everything in the game is presented as text. You READ and TYPE to PLAY.

This game is an attempt to merge two separate fields: interactive fiction and RPG. I love interactive fiction. The aesthetic is very pleasing to me, as a writer, and the programmatic problems posed by their creation are just as entertaining as the actual stories. I also like RPG's, for two reasons: the systematics they employ, and the alternate realities they immerse one in.

Interactive fiction and RPG's are actually not that dissimilar. The main difference is this: while RPG's expose their systems to the player, interactive fiction attempts to keep the system hidden. RPG's are not ashamed of what's under the hood. Interactive fiction is truly skin deep, albeit beautifully so. It wants to be literary. RPG's want to be best sellers.

In effect I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want to write beautiful sentences and beautiful code. I want to be delighted by words and systematic, gamist mastery. Faeguard is poetry and science. It is literary and a cheesy action novel.

FAQ

When will this game be ready to play?

I began development in early 2006, and plan to have it completed in 1 year.

Can I play test it?

Yes. You can email me at overcat_9lives@yahoo.ca to become a playtester.

When it is released, how do I run it?

Faeguard is being created using ASL, a scripting language created by Alex Warren. You will need the interpreter for ASL, called Quest, which you can download for free here. Once you have Quest, you'll need to get the Faeguard ASL files, which I will supply through email for playtesting. Once the game is completed, I will host Faeguard on this blog.

Can I save my game progress?

Yes.

What's the point of the game?

You are sent by your elders to find "a great and rising power" that threatens Faelana. Just what that power is and its agenda is unknown.

Where can I find the latest news?

Here. You can also see the various Object Counts via the blog's header. These are a current account of how many objects of each type have been coded, (IE, locations, NPC's, Items, etc.).

How can I ask direct questions about the game?

You can email me at overcat_9lives@yahoo.com. Any and all questions may be appended to this FAQ.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 by Jonathan Dobson